There is so much news on the mayoral front that I can barely keep up with it — Mayor Park Cities not running for re-election; U.S. Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison not running for re-election, which means Leppert may actually get to run for senator; M Streets councilwoman Angela Hunt considering running for mayor; and all the rest.
But we don’t need to mess with any of that. I have the perfect candidate: Dallas Observer columnist Jim Schutze.
Why perfect, you ask?
• The city has already elected one Observer columnist as mayor, Laura Miller. And she is looking a whole lot better in retrospect.
• Jim worked with me at the Dallas Times Herald, and I like to think we’re pals. And who doesn’t want a pal as mayor?
• It would drive the bosses crazy at Dallas’ Only Daily Newspaper. Schutze and The Morning News get along about as well as. … well, they don’t get along at all. I’d get almost too much column fodder out of that.
• Jim is ethical, hardworking, and doesn’t want to be a U.S. senator.
• We’d finally, once and for all, be rid of the Trinity toll road.
Click to sign up for the Advocate's weekly news digest and be the first to know what’s happening in Oak Cliff.