Kidd Springs Park

As told to Keri Mitchell by Sally Rodriguez, Dallas Park and Recreation Department’s historian. Photos are courtesy of the Dallas Municipal Archives and curated by Rodriguez. She authored the book “White Rock Lake,” available at area bookstores and through


Kidd Springs was a private park, just like Lake Cliff, and we acquired it in 1947. So these were private buildings — probably some sort of pool house with arcades and games. Or it might have been an open-air pavilion for dancing.


And then here, the buildings are all gone except one, and the lake is drying up. The rec center now sits overlooking the lake.


Here again is the lake, and this — you can see it dammed — was the swimming pool. It used to be part of the lake.

Click to sign up for the Advocate's weekly news digest and be the first to know what’s happening in Oak Cliff.
  • Marc

    Really?! That’s the best the DPR “historian” can do?!

    Kidd Springs Park at the turn of the century was an elite country club and the social center of Oak Cliff. Railroad man Edward Turner, who had purchased the springs from Col. Kidd, organized a private social center along with attorney John D. Fouraker. They called their exclusive group “The Kidd Springs Boating and Fishing Club” and furnished it with a clubhouse, rooms for dancing, bowling and other activities. Several of the original and wealthy residents of Oak Cliff were members. In it’s prime the club served to reinforce the feeling that Oak Cliff was a plush retreat of the rich. In 1910, banker Wirt Davis took over the park and charged 25 cents admission. When it rained, canvas curtains were unfurled around the pavilion that overlooked the pool. Six high diving towers, from 60 to 95 feet high, were constructed for special late-afternoon Sunday and holiday shows. Members of the Fouraker family appeared as performers in the high diving shows. Politicians used the park for outdoor rallies, churches held Sunday school socials and young people used it as a chance to meet members of the opposite sex. The park’s appeal faded as people drove to the spectacles offered at the 1936 Centennial Exposition in Fair Park.