Norma’s celebrates its third-annual chicken fried steak day Friday, Oct. 25. The restaurant has concocted five chicken fried steak creations inspired by “iconic Dallas, Texans” real estate mogul Ebby Halliday, radio DJs Jagger and Tara, former Dallas city manager George Schrader, Dallas Area Habitat for Humanity CEO Bill Hall and Frisco Mayor Maher Maso.
Here are the dishes:
· Halliday Starts with Dessert – Chicken fried steak doused in brown gravy and topped with mushrooms and grilled onions, paired with buttered corn, coleslaw and fried okra. Served with a slice of lemon Mile-High Cream Pie.
· Jagger and Tara’s Thankful Chicken Fried Steak – Chicken fried steak on a bed of cornbread dressing, topped with giblet gravy and a side of cranberry sauce, and paired with mashed potatoes, green beans and candied yams. Served with a slice of traditional pumpkin pie.
· Schrader’s Old Reliable – Traditional chicken fried steak, swimming in cream gravy, paired with homemade mashed potatoes, turnip greens and glazed carrots. Served with a slice of coconut Mile-High Cream Pie.
· Buffalo Bill Hall – Chicken fried steak tossed in buffalo wing sauce topped with melted jack and bleu cheese crumbles, served on a bed of homemade mashed potatoes and paired with celery and carrot sticks and black eyed peas. Compliment this dish with a slice of chocolate Mile-High Cream Pie.
· The Mayor Maher – Chicken fried steak grilled cheese stuffed with scrambled eggs, bacon and cream gravy, paired with hash browns and a side of gravy for dipping. Finish this dish off right with a warm cinnamon roll, hollowed out and filled with Blue Bell homemade vanilla ice cream.
In other restaurant news, Oddfellows is offering a discount to Oak Cliff neighbors through Nov. 27. The restaurant just added about a dozen new menu items and would like customer feedback.
If you dine at Oddfellows after 4 p.m. Wednesday-Sunday, ask for the “text the manager” feedback feature to receive a 20 percent discount.
Click to sign up for the Advocate's weekly news digest and be the first to know what’s happening in Oak Cliff.