Landmark Commission moves to save North Edgefield farmhouse

Development plans call for demolishing an 1890s farmhouse on North Edgefield, but the City of Dallas Landmark Commission has other ideas.

Commissioner Katherine Seale put the house, designed by “Dallas’ first architect” James Edward Flanders, on the commission’s February agenda to be considered for historic designation.

Sponsored Message
Chalk Hill Trail (Photo by Danny Fulgencio)
The Interurban bridge remnant on West Jefferson (Photo by Danny Fulgencio)

Preservation action group Dallas Endowment for Endangered Properties Inc. has been raising money for an effort to move the house from 1923 N. Edgefield to a location in west Oak Cliff. A demolition permit has not yet been pulled, and the property owner won’t be able to pull one until after the Landmark Commission’s Feb. 6 hearing.

If the commission decides it’s worthy of historic landmark designation — which would prevent its demolition or relocation — then the proposal goes to another board, the designation committee.

David Weekley Homes has the house and surrounding 3.3 acres of property under contract with plans to built single-family detached homes with a shared access road. The builder is putting up a similar but smaller development near Rosemont Elementary’s lower campus. They would need a zoning change to build them.

The Landmark Commission also will consider historic designation for the Eagle Ford school. Oak Cliff landmark commissioner Michael Amonett put that building on the agenda. He says West Dallas currently has no designated historic landmarks; the Interurban Bridge on West Jefferson is in the process now.

Sponsored Message

The Old Oak Cliff Conservation Society has more information about the properties’ history and architecture.

Written By
More from Rachel Stone

City Council makes conservation district status harder to obtain

The Dallas City Council approved a measure to make creating a conservation...
Read More