Mayor’s house, 635 N. Zang Blvd.

It’s possible Franklin Delano Roosevelt sipped lemonade on the porch of this house.

The first Dallas mayor from Oak Cliff, George Sergeant, built it in 1910.

When the President and First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt visited Dallas for the 1936 Texas Centennial celebration, Sergeant was their host. Legend has it that after a tour of Fair Park, they stopped for a beverage in Oak Cliff.

While the “mayor’s house” of Oak Cliff currently looks dilapidated, and cranes and bulldozers are taking over nearby, Jim Lake Cos. has plans to turn the old house into a restaurant space.

Return to ‘Historical Happenings’

Written By
More from Rachel Stone

Neighbors: Oak Cliff Gateway zoning plan needs work

Volunteers who began working in 2002 on a plan to rezone the...
Read More