fbpx

Watch: The realities of students’ lives at Quintanilla Middle School

Vote for Raul Quintanilla Sr. Middle School teacher Thom Browne, who created a video for the I Teach Project.

Browne teaches eighth-grade reading at Quintanilla. His video is a spoken-word poem that exposes the realities of his students’ difficult lives and how hard the jobs of teachers are.

Voting is open through Dec. 10. If Browne receives the most votes, he wins the opportunity to speak at the Extra Yard for Teachers Summit on Jan. 10.

By |2014-12-03T09:55:26-05:00December 3rd, 2014|Dallas ISD, Education, News|13 Comments

About the Author:

Rachel Stone is the Oak Cliff editor. Email rstone@advocatemag.com or follow twitter.com/advocate_oc.

13 Comments

1. […] No. 1 online post of the year was of this video from Quintanilla Middle School teacher Thom Browne, who won a contest with a poem about his students. He will speak at the Extra Yard for Teachers […]

2. […] Quintanilla middle school teacher Thom Browne’s heart-felt poem about his students’ lives won the I Teach Project’s essay contest. […]

3. Jaysen Tune December 9, 2014 at 7:36 PM

Thank you so much for this very motivating video. Thank you not only for the video, but for setting a great example for me, as a substitute teacher, but for all teachers. Our students need us to be there for them. We might be there only outlet. Thank you, Mr Brown!

4. Rachel Stone December 8, 2014 at 11:47 AM

Click the word “vote” above

5. F.Olvera December 8, 2014 at 6:51 AM

Where do we vote?
    Awesome video! 🙂

6. Natalia Quintanilla December 5, 2014 at 11:18 PM

Mr. Brown. Thank you. I wish I could make my gratitude greater than a “thank you”. I became a professor because my dad pushed me to be better than excellent in the face of adversity. If he were here he’d have no words. Words wouldn’t be able to explain how awesome of a job you are doing to transform your students. Teach on. It matters and we hear you.

7. Raul Quintanilla December 5, 2014 at 10:21 PM

Thank you, Mr. Browne, for your passion and dedication. Thank you for representing my father’s legacy so proudly and dilligently. I am humbled by your honesty, compassion and bravery. Never stop.

8. Natalie Kaneko Hernandez December 5, 2014 at 8:55 PM

Man why wasn’t he my teacher when I went there? Loved Ms. Braxton, but he seems amazing. Good to know that there are still good teachers out there.

9. cassie December 5, 2014 at 5:43 PM

my sister went here its a good school and this is a great teacher

10. Junior Castro December 5, 2014 at 12:06 PM

Thank you for reaching out to these kids, I went there and know the struggle to make it out without having a child, using drugs, selling dope, or not carrying and staying out of prison. It can be done! They just need help seeing that… so again thank you for helping.

11. Connie Garcia December 5, 2014 at 7:05 AM

Great work!!! This school district needs more teachers like you… Keep up the amazing work!!!

12. dlm December 4, 2014 at 8:48 PM

Thank you for caring for these kids!

13. Angeline Churchill December 3, 2014 at 1:04 PM

Thank you, Thom Browne, for listening and for teaching.

Comments are closed.