Who remembers shopping at the Vermont/Ewing intersection?

A postcard for Tallent’s Furniture gives us this aerial view of Vermont Village. Tallent’s Furniture opened in about 1947. One of its owners, Shirden Tallent, lived at 1434 S. Marsalis Ave. A post office, the third one in Oak Cliff, opened on Vermont at Idaho in 1948 (now closed) to serve the Trinity Heights and Lisbon communities, both former villages that were incorporated into Dallas. When a real-estate group from Chicago began developing Trinity Heights in 1912, it had a few scattered cottages. A couple of years later, there were about 25,000 homes. While Vermont Village has seen decline in recent decades, there are new restaurants, Recipe Oak Cliff and Faye’s Place, plus updated office space. —Rachel Stone

Written By
More from Rachel Stone

The Kessler hosts The Relatives album-release party

The Relatives are releasing their debut album, The Electric Word, this month....
Read More