Believe it or not, another month has flown by and it is time for May’s monthly update! I hope all of you have continued to stay healthy and safe over this past month. This newsletter contains updates from Dallas ISD’s continued response to the COVID-19 crisis, upcoming events and district news.
Dallas ISD updates:
- TIME Magazine features Dallas ISD Heroes: The phenomenal cafeteria staff of T.W. Browne Middle School was featured on the cover of TIME Magazine as heroes on the frontline of battling COVID-19. Thanks to these staff members, and so many others across our system, Dallas ISD has been able to distribute over three million meals to families since mid-March.
- Three Dallas ISD Schools Ranked in the Top 20 U.S. High Schools: Three Dallas ISD schools were named in the Top 20 nationwide, according to US News and World Report. Those schools are the School for the Talented and Gifted at No. 6, Irma Rangel Young Women’s Leadership Academy at No. 10, and the School of Science and Engineering at No. 17. Additionally, these schools take the Top 3 places in the State of Texas!
- Dallas ISD to Hold Virtual Graduations: Dallas ISD will be conducting all high school graduations virtually this May, given the current state of the COVID-19 pandemic. While it would be ideal to celebrate our graduating seniors in person, this decision was made by the district to ensure the utmost safety of all students, families, and staff. Please mark your calendars to step outside your door at 7 p.m. on Thursday, May 21 to recognize the graduating class of 2020 during a district wide ovation.
- Dallas ISD is the recipient of the H-E-B Excellence in Education Award for the top large school district in Texas: For the last 19 years, the supermarket chain based in San Antonio has honored outstanding professionals from Texas public schools. At a special May 5 ceremony of the Excellence in Education Awards program held on Zoom, H-E-B Food/Drug Stores President Scott McClelland credited the incredible progress Dallas ISD has made over the past five years.
- Thursday, May 14 at 11:30 a.m.: Dallas ISD virtual board briefing
- Tuesday, May 19 at 6 p.m.: Community Town Hall about Dallas ISD’s Bond 2020 (Click Here to access the link for the virtual meeting)
- Thursday, May 28 at 6 p.m.: Dallas ISD virtual board meeting
- Virtual office hours for May: I’m happy to schedule video chats or phone calls with any and everyone who would like to chat about any items concerning Dallas ISD. Please reach out to me at BenMackey@dallasisd.org to set up a time.
As always, please don’t hesitate to reach out to me if you have thoughts, ideas, questions, concerns, or simply want to say hello!