fbpx

Couple buys 80-year-old church for studio/gallery

A couple of artists bought the 80-year-old Methodist church at South Windomere and 12th Street recently, with plans to make it into a photography studio and gallery.

Photographer Candice Chase and her husband, freelance cinematographer Mark Thomas, closed on the 9,000-square-foot church about two weeks ago. Even with good credit and 20 percent down, it took them about six months to find a lender — they tried 19 banks — because "it’s an odd property," Chase says.

The church, which was vacant for almost two years, needs a lot of work — every stained-glass window is broken, for starters.  But Chase and Thomas are already at work on the old church, which they intend to list as a film location.

By |2009-11-02T12:01:00-05:00November 2nd, 2009|Development, News|7 Comments

About the Author:

Rachel Stone is the Oak Cliff editor. Email rstone@advocatemag.com or follow twitter.com/advocate_oc.

7 Comments

1. Bridget November 16, 2009 at 10:10 PM

Awesome, I pass that church all the time it’s a blessing to know that it’ll be restored to a cool arts venue. I think they should add a bar to it for the neighborhood too. Rock on in the OC!

2. Stacey Hilburn November 16, 2009 at 10:10 PM

The church will make an amazing gallery & home. Congratulations & thanks for helping improve the neighborhood. I can’t wait to see the changes.

3. ericthegardener November 16, 2009 at 10:10 PM

Cool! There was another church for sale near there that I thought would make a great place to live or arts venue. Can’t quite remember the intersection.

4. Patti Miller November 16, 2009 at 10:10 PM

Persistence pays off! Congratulations on your dream.

5. Jake November 16, 2009 at 10:10 PM

It’s great to continued organic growth in Oak Cliff despite a spooky economy. McMansions and mixed use development be damned.

6. rubbercow November 16, 2009 at 10:10 PM

I am envious! I would LOVE to be able to have that church to live in! Good luck to Chase and Thomas and welcome to the neighborhood!

7. myates November 16, 2009 at 10:10 PM

Best of luck to Chase & Thomas. I like their enthusiasm.

Comments are closed.