fbpx

The second time around

These Oak Cliff couples are testaments to love story sequels

David Mendez and Jayne Fisher

Kimball graduates David Mendez and Jayne Fisher met through the Oak Cliff Boomers Facebook group. Photo by Tiffany Noelle Fisher

It’s February, and love is in the air! For some Oak Cliff boomers, that air has certainly produced results.

“I never, ever, ever, ever thought I’d even think about getting married again, but then I met [choking up] the sweetest woman in the world. [Now tearing up.] Now I’m getting married,” explained David Mendez at the April 2012 wedding shower hosted by the Oak Cliff Boomers Facebook group at the Charco Broiler on Jefferson, “and I’m so happy.”

And just how did he meet his then future wife?

Jayne Brumit Fisher began attending the Facebook group’s parties and says she noticed David right away.

“But there was one problem. I thought the lady with him was his wife.”

At the dance event, Mendez (Kimball ’67) gazed at the table where Fisher (Kimball ’73) sat with a woman she assumed was Mendez’s wife. But Fisher noticed that each time Mendez spun and faced the table, he was mouthing, “Help!” pleading to be rescued from his current dance partner. Fisher leaned over and said to the woman, “You need to go dance with your husband.”

“The woman started laughing,” Fisher giggles. “Then I found out she was his sister, not his wife.” Fisher immediately walked over and asked for the rest of the dance. “We started dating and, in less than a year after our first dance, we were married.”

“It’s wonderful. We are so very happy,” Jayne (now) Mendez shares. “I think it is true that love is sweeter as we get older.”

Bruce Edwards and Celia Hopkins

Bruce Edwards and Celia Hopkins met when they were 15 and dated their senior year at Kimball High School (even attending the 1965 prom together). More than three decades later, they rekindled their romance.

Bruce Edwards and Celia HopkinsWhen 15-year-olds Bruce Edwards and Celia Hopkins first met on Aug. 25, 1963, they became instant friends. Often, when the young Dallas Morning News carrier threw his route at 4 a.m., he’d knock on Hopkins’s window to see if she wanted to join him. She usually took a pass. The two ended up dating quite a lot during their 1965 senior year at Kimball but split it off when they attended the same college. Hopkins married someone else, as did Edwards, and the pair had no further communication … until 1996. While planning for her junior high school reunion, one of the workers, a detective, asked Hopkins who she’d like to find. She answered, “Bruce Edwards,” and paid the guy $20. “That was the best $20 I ever spent,” Hopkins chuckles.

Edwards was divorced and Hopkins, after first being widowed, was in the same process. They began seeing each other and the relationship rekindled.

“He never pressured me about anything,” Hopkins says. “He was patient and always very sweet.”

Hopkins’s late father and her mother had always been sad that the high school sweethearts hadn’t married. So after Edwards’s proposal, Hopkins’s mother, wagging her finger, responded, “I always told you he was a nice boy.” And Edwards’s dad? “Well, it’s about time!” he laughed.

The pair exchanged vows on Aug. 18, 2001, but then, along with some family members, flew to St. Lucia to repeat the same, on the beach, on Aug. 25, exactly 38 years after they first met.

Bill Titsworth and Minnie Elliott Busby

Adamson alumni Bill Titsworth and Minnie Elliott Busby met more than 50 years after they graduated high school and married on their alma mater’s front steps.

Minnie Elliott Busby, as an Adamson alumni association board member (class of ’59), visited hospitalized alums. That’s where she first met Bill Titsworth, class of ‘60.

Titsworth was lying in a hospital bed, with a full beard and a head full of shaggy hair (due to his lengthy hospital stay). Busby, along with another board member, chatted with him, and, as was her duty, visited the patient several additional times. Evidently, she made an impression.

Later, the now clean-shaven Titsworth called, asking Busby to join him for lunch. The pair began watching movies together and discovered that, as Titsworth says, “we enjoyed each others’ company.” In less than 18 months, while driving back from Oak Cliff, Busby’s future fiancé proposed the following: “I don’t really recommend this, but would you care to marry me?”

Bubsy, in her trademark, straightforward tone, responded with, “When and where?”

Quickly understanding his need of a fast answer, Titsworth replied, “Feb. 29 — so I’ll only forget our anniversary once every four years — and on the front steps of Adamson.”

“Well, only after I ask your mother for your hand in marriage,” Busby responded.

After their Feb. 14 wedding license purchase — what Busby says was probably a laughable moment for the county licensing office’s young staff: two 70-year-olds purchasing a marriage license on Valentine’s Day — the couple exchanged vows just as the groom had proposed, on the front steps of W. H. Adamson High School, on Feb. 29, 2012.

The Rev. Donald Coke (Adamson ’44) officiated, with a small group of witnesses that included the Adamson principal and several alumni. Dressed in blue and white, and a blue and white bridal bouquet (to honor the school colors), the Titsworths are, as far as I know, the only couple in Oak Cliff — or possibly the state — to marry on their high school steps. (Maybe the country. Maybe the world!)

There’s a 1960s song titled “The Second Time Around,” and it certainly seems that the song rings true for the Mendezes, Edwardses, and Titworths. Ah, love! Sometimes it is sweeter the second time around.

By |2013-02-14T12:37:13-05:00January 22nd, 2013|All Columns, All Magazine Articles, Back Story|25 Comments

About the Author:

Gayla Brooks
GAYLA BROOKS co-authored the books "Images of America: Oak Cliff" and "Legendary Locals of Oak Cliff" and writes a monthly history column for the Oak Cliff Advocate. She can date her neighborhood heritage back to 1918, when her father was born in what was then called Eagle Ford. She was born at Methodist hospital and graduated from Kimball High School. Email gbrooks@advocatemag.com.

25 Comments

1. Gayla Brooks
    Gayla Brooks January 30, 2013 at 12:11 AM

“We are the Knights of Kimball High, ever-striving to be true…..

Great heritage: Oak Cliff; Methodist Hospital; Kimball! What’s not to like? Thanks for posting.

2. Dcblythin January 29, 2013 at 10:24 PM

I am so proud to say I am from Oak Cliff Texas…Born  at Methodist Hospital , graduated from Kimball High “67”

3. Gayla Brooks
    Gayla Brooks January 28, 2013 at 4:27 AM

My pleasure. I’m happy to know that you enjoyed the sweetness included in these three stories. It was such fun to write the column this month, and I got to interview Minnie and Bill over yummy burgers at Fudruckers! What’s not to like about that?

4. Tivoli_46 January 27, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Love these stories, Gayla…Thank you much.

5. Gayla Brooks
    Gayla Brooks January 26, 2013 at 2:16 AM

I added some photos to the posts. Scroll down and look at all of  ’em. Love IS in the air!  If you want to comment or post, upload photos of  yours or someone else’s love story. I think 2.2 MB is the limit, though.

6. Gayla Brooks
    Gayla Brooks January 26, 2013 at 2:13 AM

Another photo of the Titsworths!!!

7. Gayla Brooks
    Gayla Brooks January 26, 2013 at 2:04 AM

Here’s another photo of Bruce and CeCe.

8. Gayla Brooks
    Gayla Brooks January 26, 2013 at 2:03 AM

Here is a photo of Jayne and David’s wedding. Enjoy!

9. Gayla Brooks
    Gayla Brooks January 26, 2013 at 1:46 AM

Thanks, Beverly. I agree. Such sweet stories. And…with so much pain and confusion in today’s world, I’m happy that Bruce and CeCe are enjoying life together. Makes me feel young (sort of…) to see them together. Thanks for posting.

10. Gayla Brooks
    Gayla Brooks January 26, 2013 at 1:44 AM

Hey, sis! You and “Mr. T” (Terry) should be a part of this group. You guys fell in love back in high school and are still in love today. Happy 50th wedding anniversary (July 2012) to both of you. You are an inspiration! Hugs and love, Gayla.

11. Gayla Brooks
    Gayla Brooks January 26, 2013 at 1:34 AM

Awww! I LOVE these stories. Perhaps the magazine should have a blog about Boomer romances. I’ll see what I can do. Would you send me some wedding or other similar photos. I’d love to see them. Use the email address: gbrooks@advocatemag.com. I’ll add them to my growing collection of Oak Cliff Romances. Thanks for posting.

12. COakley January 25, 2013 at 5:27 PM

I also met and began dating my SOC high school classmate.  We first began chatting on facebook in July of 2009 and in October of 2009, he asked me to meet him at a OCBoomer event.  We had some instant chemistry and ended up getting married in June of 2010.  Yes, love is just as sweet or sweeter the second time around.

13. Bunnyroom January 25, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Another GREAT article by the sweetest little lady I know. We graduated in 1961 from Adamson. All the articles were special. It is funny how we go full circles in our lives. It is so wonderful that these dear couples found each other again and began a new chapter in their lives. Lynda Welch Kokel

14. Beverly Head Holland January 25, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Thanks, Gayla. Great story. I always thought Bruce and Celia were so cute together in high school and college. So glad they finally ended up together and are just as cute and sweet today!

15. Gayla Brooks
    Gayla Brooks January 25, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Aren’t these things amazing, Mary? When the OC Boomers began, who knew where things were going to go? I think it’s interesting, and heartwarming, to know that people can connect–or reconnect–through the group. Good folks. Good times. Good memories.

16. Mary Newton Maxwell January 25, 2013 at 9:06 AM

What a great, great column.  I was just thinking the other day that Oak Cliff Boomers has almost become it’s own Dating Game.  So proud to know two of the couples highlighted in the article and I have a big feeling this list will be growing!  Thanks, Gayla !

17. Gayla Brooks January 24, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Thank you, Linda Kay. Glad you enjoyed all the hugs and kisses swirling around the column. Such a fun subject! Am so glad all these guys are going to be able to enjoy these special years together. And, yes. We should compile a list of high school romances that have stood the test of time.

18. Gayla Brooks January 24, 2013 at 10:06 PM

Thanks, Big Boomer! And, yes…romance seems in order these days in Oak Cliff Boomerland.  We never know how our small efforts may grow larger and larger and where they may lead. Glad you followed through on your idea. Look where it’s lead? Saaaa-lute!

19. Danny Smith January 24, 2013 at 9:04 PM

When I started the Oak Cliff Boomers about 3 1/2 years ago, I never dreamed we would have nearly 4,000 members and never even considered the possibility that it would kindle any romances. But we’ve had a couple of marriages and several romances develop from it, including myself! Great story, Gayla, and I hope the love stories continue to grow!

Danny Smith

20. Lmoonbeamx2 January 24, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Love these kind of stories!!  And just think, they’re all from Oak Cliff!!!  How about couples that went together in high school and are STILL together?  I can think of a lot right now, myself not included!!!!  Good job Miss Gayla, as always!

21. Gayla Brooks January 24, 2013 at 5:48 PM

You are oh, so right, Benny! Oak Cliff folks are the absolute best! It really makes me smile to see these three happy couples being able to truly enjoy life. Such fun, too!

22. Benny Kirtley KHS '60 January 24, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Gayla, thats a super article! I’ve met David at a “Chip’s Hamburger”  and he seems like a swell guy. I would wish him and Jayne many happy years together. Theres just something about Oak Cliff people that has a silver lining to them.

23. Dallastom1 January 24, 2013 at 4:13 PM

what a great story…..love my oak cliff but I have been banned from oak cliff boomer by Mr Smith……so I have to here about stuff like this through the magazine…..thanks Tommy Stafford

24. Gayla Brooks January 24, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Thanks, Jim. I appreciate your kind words. This one was fun! Such nice folks, from Oak Cliff…of course!

25. Jim Roberson January 24, 2013 at 3:32 PM

It is so much fun to read your column Gayla.  Thanks for all of your hard work and the great historical stories.  Jim Roberson

Comments are closed.