UPDATE: Police say these North Oak Cliff robberies that “appear to be related,” per Scott Griggs:
400 block of N. Rosemont, Feb. 1, 6:30 p.m.
500 block of Marshalldell, Feb. 9, 7:45 p.m.
100 block of N. Windomere, Feb. 10, 6:45 p.m.
The man is between 5-foot-8 and 6 feet tall, wears a ski mask and ankle-length trench coat. He approaches from behind with a “butcher knife,” police say.
ORIGINAL POST: A man wearing a ski man and threatening with a knife robbed a woman in her driveway in Winnetka Heights Monday.
The crime is similar to a string of robberies in East Dallas in January, in which a man in a ski mask with a knife snatched purses from women in their driveways.
In the Monday robbery, the man fled in a white Chrysler 4-door sedan. The victim described him as about 6 feet tall and 200 pounds. Victims in the East Dallas attacks described the vehicle as a dark green or black four-door sedan.
Another robbery, also at knife point, occurred Tuesday in the 400 block of Rosemont. Since robberies are rare in the neighborhood, it is possible that the two Oak Cliff stick ups are connected.
Here are tips from the Dallas Police Department on avoiding becoming a victim.
- Always be aware of your surroundings. Don’t let your smartphone or something else distract you.
- Avoid isolated or dark areas when alone.
- If you feel you are being followed, drive to a safe public location and call 911.
- If you arrive home and see any suspicious people or activities, call 911 immediately.
- In the unfortunate circumstance you are robbed, comply with the suspect’s directions, but don’t volunteer any more than what is asked for.
- If you must reach inside your bag or purse, tell the suspect what you are doing before you do it.