fbpx

Wine bar, salon, boutiques coming to the old Cannon’s Village

Cannon's

Renovation began on the 1922 building formerly known as the Cannon’s Village shopping center on West Davis at Edgefield less than a year ago, and the retail space already is fully leased.

Restaurateur Jean Michel Sakouhi is planning to open a wine bar, Cepage, there. Sakouhi also is opening a Cepage in Deep Ellum, which will focus on French food. The Oak Cliff restaurant could be open as early as March.

Two boutiques currently in the Bishop Arts District, Zola’s Everyday Vintage and the Cozy Cottage Children’s Boutique, also are taking spaces in the building.

Deirdre Sutton of Zola’s, which opened shop in Bishop Arts 12 years ago, says she’s hoping to open the new shop by Feb. 1.

“We’re excited to be so close to the Kessler and Nova and all that,” she says. “I think that’s going to be a really big destination.”

Hairstylist Jake Tafoya also is moving her hair salon, the Mod Labb, to the West Davis building.

The Book Doctor already moved to a corner space there a few months ago, and a grilled cheese restaurant is now in the works in the Book Doctor’s old Bishop Arts space.

The dog grooming place, Oak Clips, is staying put in their space on Edgefield.

The shopping center’s owner, Kacy Jones, is planning to convert the second floor into two residences for his family and in laws. He expects to start construction on those apartments early next year.

By |2015-02-18T11:09:08-05:00November 26th, 2014|Bishop Arts District, Business, News, Preservation, Shopping|22 Comments

About the Author:

Rachel Stone is the Oak Cliff editor. Email rstone@advocatemag.com or follow twitter.com/advocate_oc.

22 Comments

1. […] of restaurants, we also served you the dish on the wine bar and restaurant coming to the old Cannon’s Village and four West Dallas dives you should try, and then we complained about all the restaurants we […]

2. Larry Burns December 19, 2014 at 7:26 PM

The girls and I made a special trip last weekend to visit Zola’s before it moved. We ultimately ended up having lunch down West Davis by Zola’s new home. Great fit and good move. We will see you in February!

“Oak Cliff is not just a place, anyone can be in it, but the lucky ones have it in us. If I have to explain it, your from somewhere else”
    Smokey Burns

3. anorm December 8, 2014 at 7:43 PM

Well said Candice!

4. anorm December 8, 2014 at 7:42 PM

Thank you for the props!!! A friend of mine coined a phrase we all might find useful…”hipstersnappers”…’nuff said

5. Texashugs December 7, 2014 at 3:24 PM

I am grateful that the space is no longer empty and will be filled with quality tenants. However, I have nothing against lower Greenville. That area has improved much as well and has a variety of restaurants for all budgets, a trader joes, buffalo exchange, central market, and corner market….all place I love. Grateful for the changes which will be of use to many but looking forward to some practical places that wil be useful for all.

6. Rachel Stone December 5, 2014 at 1:23 PM

The code doesn’t differentiate between retail and restaurant uses for legacy buildings

7. anon December 4, 2014 at 8:15 AM

Parking will be a problem once the neighborhood goes RPO. Give it a few years but I’d guess it’s an absolute certainty.

8. anon December 4, 2014 at 8:14 AM

not true. retail and office uses are exempt. restaurant uses still require parking, though the amount is reduced relative to general city code and there are ways to meet it. still, the requirement exists.

9. downtownworker December 2, 2014 at 10:08 AM

How about we bulldoze the building along with the Kessler Theater and turn them into parking lots. Then the question will be “where will people go?”

You may need to walk a couple of blocks, but parking is not an issue.

10. Larry Burns November 29, 2014 at 2:36 PM

I grew up in Oak Cliff and loved coming to BAD with family for many years. I for one and I’ll include my daughters in this have been Zola’s fans and understand the move entirely. Bishop is no longer an Arts District it’s a Hipster Haven full of Penny Loafers and Ray Bans. The shopkeepers made BAD what it was, not the buildings and we’ll follow them where ever they go!
    Smokey Burns

11. Bill November 29, 2014 at 9:10 AM

It was Schindler’s Bakery. Oh what great treats they had!

12. Rachel Stone November 28, 2014 at 8:36 PM

Well, under the Bishop/Davis zoning for a “legacy building,” they are not required to have off-street parking. https://oakcliff.advocatemag.com/2014/10/critical-mass/

13. Candice McKay November 28, 2014 at 6:07 PM

I am the owner of The Book Doctor and have lived in Kings Highway since 2005. I am fortunate to have the opportunity to keep my business where my family lives, among our friends and neighbors. Most of my small crew lives in, grew up in, or has other significant ties to Oak Cliff. Many of my clients are Sunset or Adamson alums and they remember Cannon’s. Our new spot is lovely, and more importantly it is accessible and visible. Thank you to the locals who have stopped by or stopped me in the grocery store to say something supportive. You made a complicated move so much nicer.

[To Texashugs: there is more change coming. I am optimistic that we will not become lower Greenville, and maybe the next round of shops will be more useful to you (I would love a UPS Store). For now, let’s be thankful for the Jones family and the care they have taken in choosing tenants with whom they will share space. ]

14. Cynthia Herndon November 28, 2014 at 4:15 PM

I am an Oak Cliff native and resident. I opened The Cozy Cottage 6-1/2 years ago since I couldn’t even purchase a baby gift in our area. The district around our current shop has changed into a hipster destination. That was not due to anyone we catered to. Our new location is stroller friendly where locals out and about can wheel in. We are supposed to have a couple of designated parking spaces. We are not Walmart in terms of pricing however we offer adorable clothing, bows, gifts, shoes and books without a trip over the river. The local customers we have told we are moving seem to be thrilled, as we are.

15. anorm November 27, 2014 at 9:10 PM

I am co-owner of Zolas and I was born and raised in Oak Cliff. I would hope that we, after 12 years in business in the community, would be a place you might want to “actually want to walk to frequently”. Zolas opened in 2001 when Bishop Arts was a ghost town and worked hard to build our locally owned business. We employ local residents and certainly have a varied customer base, not specifically “catering to people who live outside the area”. I don’t get your objection to the “boutiques”….we aren’t significant enough or something???

16. Delilah Ray November 26, 2014 at 10:45 PM

Schindler’s was the bakery, I’m pretty sure. I used to get to buy sugar cookies and cinnamon rolls from there as a child.

17. Dana Gillham November 26, 2014 at 10:33 PM

Does anyone remember what stores were in this building in the 50’s? A&P groceries, Cannon Variety Store. Bakery. I can’t remember what was on the Edgefield side. Wish that I could remember the name of the bakery, I spent a lot of money there on the way home from Rosemont. Skillerns was on the other side of Edgefield. There was a barber shop, drug store, clothing store and Jesters Laundry Mat. Many, many fun and memories.

18. Stephen Betzen November 26, 2014 at 7:14 PM

Sounds great…. where will people park? Parking is an issue if this is to become a “place to be”.
    Bishop arts has a problem and it has some real parking lots.

19. Texashugs November 26, 2014 at 2:12 PM

Most of the businesses in bishop arts cater to people who live outside the area with the exception of some restaurants. Many people have spoken up in community meetings that they hope Davis does become like bishop arts. It’s a great place but businesses that cater to the community would be nice as well. I do see myself visiting the wine bar or salon if it is not outrageous.The boutiques are great but only to browse not buy on a daily or weekly basis. Thought the idea was to get the neighborhood more walkable and include places we would actually want to walk to frequently. Davis has still a long way to go and I’m hopeful developers will start to think about the community needs and wants

20. DFW75208 November 26, 2014 at 11:14 AM

The Book Doctor, Zola’s, Cozy Cottage, Oak Clipps and I believe the hair salon too are all shops that have been around for a good long while (many years for most of them) and are an asset to the community. They are the perfect fit for this building. As noted in the article, the Grilled Cheese shop is going into Bishop Arts, not Cannon’s Village.

21. Texashugs November 26, 2014 at 10:12 AM

what about the Jaho tea and coffee shop you previously reported?

22. Texashugs November 26, 2014 at 10:07 AM

I hope the owners are not putting in tourist destinations and need to think about places the community can afford and help sustain. Grilled cheese place seems nice but not so sure about the rest

Comments are closed.