Preservation award for Kiest Park pergola, ‘graffiti house’

kiest park pergola

Preservation Dallas presents awards to two neighborhood landmarks next month.

The Kiest Park pergola originally was built in 1934 by the Works Progress Administration, and it fell into disrepair by the 1980s. The city allocated $2 million, from a bond election, to rebuild the pergola in 2006. But it took the persistence of the Friends of Oak Cliff Parks to get the city to tackle the project, which was completed about a year ago.

The “graffiti house” was a vandalized old farm house behind the Belmont Hotel, which was renovated starting in 2012. It is now part of photographer Manny Rodriguez’s studio.

Written By
More from Rachel Stone

Delicious: Eat in season with Bolsa’s new menu

Kale and chard are so last winter. It’s springtime now, and there...
Read More

1 Comment

Comments are closed.