Henry and Cumie Barrow moved their shotgun house from Muncie Avenue to this site on what was then called Eagle Ford Road.
They added on a filling station with proceeds from an insurance settlement and lived in the attached house.
The Barrows of West Dallas did their share of neighborhood brawling.
In 1938, a “23-year-old Dallas hoodlum” named S.J. “Baldy” Whatley threw a Molotov cocktail onto their roof.
Whatley had been feuding with Clyde’s brothers Jack and L.C. for years. One night, after a barroom fight with them that involved broken chair legs and beer bottles, he drove by firing shotgun blasts into the filling station and injured Clyde’s 65-year-old mother. She lost an eye and almost died. Whatley was given 12 years for aggravated assault.