July is “Watch Your Car Month” in Texas, and the Dallas Police Department is advising citizens to remember a few simple tips to keep their vehicle and valuables safe.
- Always lock your vehicle and take your keys.
- Never leave your car running and unattended.
- Park in a well-lit area.
- Take valuables with you when you are not in your vehicle.
- Keep valuables out of sight.
- Give parking attendants the ignition key only. Keep your trunk and glove box locked at all times, using a separate key for the ignition when possible.
- Install an anti-theft device.
According to Insurify.com, pickup trucks are the favorites of many thieves. Their parts sell for a premium on the black market, and bad guys use them for future crime sprees. Pickups are the most stolen body type in 30 of 50 states.
Here’s the current national Top Ten list for most stolen vehicle:
- 10. 2001 Jeep Cherokee/Grand Cherokee
- 9. 2001 Dodge Pickup
- 8. 2018 GMC Dodge Pickup
- 7. 2017 Toyota Corolla
- 6. 2017 Nissan Altima
- 5. 2017 Toyota Camry
- 4. 2004 Chevrolet Pickup
- 3. 2006 Ford Pickup
- 2. 1997 Honda Accord
- 1. 2000 Honda Civic