Demolition began today on the building that formerly housed El Corazon de Tejas restaurant.
Alabama-based Orange Development LLC is tearing down the 77-year-old building with plans to replace it with a CVS store.
The city’s Landmark Commission earlier this month started the three-year process to make the building a historic landmark, but it was unclear whether that has any teeth since a demolition permit had been issued previous to that.
The building on West Davis at Beckley was constructed in 1940 as a Wyatt grocery store. Later it was El Chico restaurant and then Tejano Restaurant before being revamped into El Corazon de Tejas about four years ago.
We first got wind of changes afoot there when a replat proposal appeared on the City Plan Commission’s consent agenda a few weeks ago.
Neighbors left list message for the developer overnight: