Chicken Scratch: New casual restaurant on Fort Worth Avenue

Chicken Scratch, in the former Jack’s Backyard space on Fort Worth Avenue, has opened,  and if you like chicken, and food from owner Tim Byres (chef at Smoke), you definitely need to try this place.

The chicken comes fried or a la pecan rotisserie, and chicken from both preparations was moist and flavorful. Plates come with a choice of two sides, a huge biscuit and homemade bread-and-butter pickles for about $9. Family-style orders come with half or whole chickens, fried chicken tenders, sides and biscuits for $24 and $36. There is also a kid’s menu, including juice popsicles.  The space includes some covered outdoor seating, and exterior lighting is unique.  The outdoor stage is a wooden work of art by local Oak Cliff artisan Gary Buckner.  The restaurant adjoins the newly opened Foundry Bar, so the combination should become a real hangout.

By |2012-03-22T10:41:50-05:00March 22nd, 2012|Dining, News, Restaurants|7 Comments

About the Author:

Scott Chase
Neighborhood blogger Scott Chase is an attorney and Stevens Park resident. Email editor@advocatemag.com.

7 Comments

1. RobertB April 5, 2012 at 8:27 AM

mmmm… bacon. (Seriously, I can’t imagine greens without bacon! What can I say, I was raised in the South.)

2. Anonymous April 4, 2012 at 5:23 PM

“Southern sides are always a good choice”
    I thought southern style sides usually had animal grease or meat bits for flavor?

3. The Discerning Foodie April 3, 2012 at 1:30 PM

My wife and I both ordered the fried chicken.  I can fry chicken better than this. The chicken was greasy and under-seasoned, and the crust was burnt on my wife’s order.  The mashed potatoes were dry and the gravy had a funky taste.  The collard greens were like eating paper.  Inedible.  On the positive side, the surroundings are eclectic and the service is fast.  I am not a picky eater, but we won’t be back.

4. Anonymous March 28, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Checked it out yesterday and loved it. Very simple and very tasty. Will definitely go again.

5. Schase March 22, 2012 at 12:13 PM

I don’t know the cooking preparation of the sides but the collard greens contained bacon.  Otherwise, the mac ‘n cheese was tasty and the fries were very good.  The rotisserie chicken had 2 sauces, buttermilk and tomatillo, that would be good with the very large biscuits.  Again, don’t know if there is any meat product in either sauce.  In any event, don’t think it will equal Smoke or Bolsa choices.

6. Jonathan Braddick March 22, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Being a vegetarian, I know I’m not going to have a full choice at this new place.  However, Bolsa and Smoke do have good vegetarian options for us.  Southern sides are always a good choice, but anything else on the menu you saw that would qualify?

7. ericthegardener March 22, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Went last night and it was awesome!

Comments are closed.