Lake Cliff Park in 1918 was about as happening a place as one would find in Dallas. It had an amusement park, theater and swimming pool, among other amenities.
From the looks of it, the backside of the park, Fifth and Crawford, still had unpaved roads. This photo, which looks east from Fifth Street, was taken 10 years before artist Frank Reaugh built his studio, El Sibil, on Sixth at Crawford.
Here is a shot, via Google Maps, of how the intersection looks today.