Before the Dallas Fort Worth Turnpike was built in 1957, the old Highway 80 — which included Davis Street and Garland Road — was the main route between Dallas and Fort Worth.
The turnpike was a 30-mile toll road that operated for 20 years until 1977. Once the road was paid for, it was handed over to the Texas Department of Transportation, and it later became Interstate 30.
We found this old map at an estate sale. Notice there’s no Interstate 35 and no DFW International Airport. Click the maps for larger images.