Tenth Street in Oak Cliff at one time held the “Ripley’s Believe It Or Not” record for the most churches-per-mile in the world.
There were at least 28 within a 3-mile stretch.
Historically, there were a lot of churches in Oak Cliff.
This one is just off Tenth Street, and it’s one the few properties in our neighborhood that enjoys historical landmark protection from the City of Dallas.
Sanguinet and Staats architects, who also designed the Wilson Building in Dallas and the Flatiron Building in Fort Worth, planned this building in 1910. The classical revival building was completed in 1915.
It was a very popular church. The 1926 membership reached 1,649.
By 2015, it was the home church of only about 200 souls, and the congregation merged with Tyler Street United Methodist Church.
The building currently is for sale.