Kidd Springs became a Dallas park 70 years ago

Sponsored Message

With the new pool complex, daylighting the spring, revamping the pond and restoration of the Japanese Garden, Kidd Springs has a lot going on.

We came across this 1947 ad for the opening of Kidd Springs Park, which became part of the Dallas park system that year. When if first opened as a city park 70 years ago, the Honey Boys Nine Piece Band played every night.

Image courtesy of the Dallas Public Libraries History and Archives Division

Kidd Springs previously had been a private amusement park with a dancehall pavilion, a giant water slide and amusement rides, including a carousel and bumper cars.

In an oral history a few years back, Harvey Herbst said “the pool was large and was fed by a cascade of water pouring from the springs.”

The city now is planning to “daylight” the spring and create a rill so that it will cascade down the hill into the pond once again.

Written By
More from Rachel Stone

Adamson vs. Sunset pep rally this week

The annual intra-Oak Cliff football rivalry takes place this weekend. Adamson and...
Read More

1 Comment

  • Kidd Springs was a “hub” of Oak Cliff activity in the late 1940’s, 50’s and early 60’s. Originally there was a Pavilon where Raymond Smith called Square Dancing; it was a
    popular spot. There was a softball field where church leagues played their games and
    the Park was quite popular for church and social gatherings. Jack F. Edwards, DDS,
    donated funds for the Japanese Garden in the 1960’s and the City constructed a Meeting
    Hall also in the 60’s. Kidd Springs has a wonderful and Historic past!

Comments are closed.