The real estate company that owns the old Oak Farms Dairy site near the Jefferson Viaduct this week began demolishing a 100-year-old building on the site.
The Oak Cliff Pumping Station, built in 1913, stopped bringing water to our neighborhood in 1944. But it had been part of the Oak Farms dairy campus since it opened in 1935.
The dairy’s owner, Dean Foods, sold the Oak Cliff campus to Cienda Partners last year. The Old Oak Cliff Conservation League included the pumping station building on its list of architecture at risk a month later.
The Oak Farms Dairy site is in the Oak Cliff Gateway. It is zoned for up to 20 stories with a mix of retail, office or apartments.